Skip to content

Main Navigation

Submitting an Application

The IRB handles a number of different types of applications, including:

If you've never submitted an application to the University of Utah IRB before, please review our New Investigator Toolkit.

A New Study (NS) Application is used for any study that is being considered for initial review and approval. 

An Amendment (AM) Application is used to request approval of any change to the currently-approved protocol and/or consent process.  These are only considered after a study has received initial review and approval as a new study.

Continuing Review (CR) Applications are also referred to as "Renewal s."  Federal regulations require that studies are reviewed at least annually, so research that is initiated, funded, or supported by the U.S. Government is reviewed on at least an annual basis.  In addition, the IRB reviews all research that is greater than minimal risk at least annually. 

The Report Form (RP) application is used to submit problems, events, or information to the IRB for review.

A Final Projects Report (FPR) is submitted when the investigator would like to close the study.
Last Updated: 1/7/20